In the competitive Identity and Access Management (IAM) marketplace, vendors are encouraged to promote their solutions through product certification which includes a review and testing process by Identity Management Institute to validate that certified products meet certain standards and comply with stated design specifications or claims. Customers always prefer verified information by a third party about products and services that they plan to purchase and use.
Identity Management Institute offers various identity management product and service certification options. Whether you are interested in the certification of a product or service you promote to businesses or customers, you have come to the right place. This page lays out our product certification methodology.
Within our identity management product certification vertical, we offer two services:
- Certification of products offered to businesses by IAM vendors, and,
- Certification of products and services sold to consumers by identity theft companies.
Product and service certification by an independent entity is a great marketing and sales tool that Identity Management Institute offers. The objective of product certification is to confirm that products:
- Meet the vendor’s specification and design claims, and
- Address IMI’s quality standards and best practices.
IMI’s product certification provides an independent assessment to businesses, distributors, regulators, and customers that an independent organization has reviewed a product’s features and documentation to determine that the product is consistent with best practices and claims made by vendors.
Product Certification Process
From extensive product design, performance and conformity analysis to the quality assessment of a service based on vendor assertions and IMI standards, we evaluate every aspect of a product under the specific certification path. IMI’s product certification is a step by step process which follows a defined framework.
The product certification process includes the following steps:
- High level review of the company and its product or service under review. This is the first required step before any in depth product analysis for improvement or certification testing is performed. This step can be completed just for marketing purposes without taking any additional steps for testing or certification.
- Audit of the targeted product based on in depth technical review of product documentation and features.
- The audit report is issued with the list of identified gaps and recommendations which must be remediated before certification is granted.
- Validation of improvements if the vendor plans to seek product certification.
- The product is certified upon validation of gap remediation and the badge is issued.
- Complete the licensing agreement to use product certification and IMI logo in advertising and marketing.
Type of Products
Below are the types of products that are great candidates for certification:
IAM Products – Businesses must choose and deploy IAM products from a vast number of available vendors in the areas of identity verification, biometric authentication, Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), Single Sign-On (SSO), as well as identity lifecycle and access management systems. Identity and Access Management products continue to be among the fastest growing and most competitive cybersecurity products. IAM vendors are encouraged to seek product certification from IMI for a distinguished market position. Vendors should also consider a product training to teach their product users how to best leverage their tools within their organizations.
Consumer Products – Many vendors offer consumer products and services which must be validated to educate consumers and help them with product selection through an independent product report. For example, identity theft companies should consider an independent assessment of their services and systems to provide public assurance that their products offer great features, security and privacy that consumers can benefit from.
Product Certification Benefits
IAM vendors, service providers, and customers can benefit from a product certification in many ways including:
- Improve products
- Increase brand recognition
- Gain customer trust
- Increase product’s quality and credibility
- Educate users about product features
- Obtain validation by an independent party
- Ensure stated product specs map to claims
- Comply with regulations
- Validate performance through testing
- Promote products through certification and ad claim agreements
Why Identity Management Institute
Identity Management Institute is a global certification organization which offers professional certifications, product training and certification, as well as program certification. Identity Management Institute has been developing and managing certification programs for the cybersecurity industry with a focus on Identity and Access Management for many years. The IMI certification mark provides proof that a product has been independently tested by a global certification body and meets the certification purpose.
If you’re looking for a partner to improve and certify your products, or help you distinguish yourself from others, we can help. Contact us.
Interested audit organization may register with IMI and become an approved certification partner to audit products. Accreditation ensures that registered bodies follow a pre-approved audit approach designed by IMI for product certification. By joining IMI, registered audit organizations will gain the confidence of their clients and receive referrals by being listed on IMI website as registered auditors.